Yes, this quote is so meant to me right now. As a nutritionist and dietitian, my eating habit was sooo bad. It was just a mess. I used to eat what I want, the ghrelin really used to control my overall eating, Ghrelin rules!. I craved soft drinks, high-fat meat, potato chips, and high-cholesterol foods.
And thank god...God suddenly came to my heart and say "be an ovo-vegan, Sita..." (lol, i'm kidding) and I am, an ovo-vegan officially :)
Its been 33 days. I can say that being a vegan in Indonesia isnt such a big challenge. Veggies and fruits are easy to find here, not too expensive, and vary a lot. So hard to overcome the temptations though (coz my family and friends still eat meats or ice creams, while i dont..oh gosh!), but so far...all things are going well. One this to pay attention to is that some salad sauce we use here may contain mashed shrimps that are hard to recognize, even by the taste, especially one used for east Javanese salads. In addition, there are also traditional drinks that contain cow milk instead of coconut milks...Kinda tricky, right? ;-)
These are some of foods I eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner hummm, yummm
|1. brown rice and blanched veggies|
2. chinesse food veggies and tofu
3. asem-asem, one of indonesian clear soup and tempe (fermented soy food)
|fried broccoli, steam it first to get it cooked|
Dont forget to take some supplements (like folate, B12...just take the B-complex, ferrous sulfate, vitamin D, Calcium, etc-better consult to your dietitian) to avoid nutrition defficiencies.
Hope this ovo-vegan eating style become my stepping stone to the pure vegan one. May this inspires u...
Alphabetically Glossaries :
- Cholesterol : a type of fat that can be produced by human and animals. Excess consumption of cholesterol may cause several diseases i.e heart attack, etc
- Deficiency : lack of something, so.. 'nutrition deficiency' means lack of nutrition
- Ghrelin : type of hormone that stimulates hunger
- Obesogenic : all things causing obesity. So...obesogenic foods means foods that contain substrate/s causing obesity
- Ovo-vegan : a vegetarian who still eat eggs. no meat and dairy products